Hey all, Shannon here with a new episode run down for The Secret Circle, Episode #6. To refresh your memory these are spoiler filled from the perspective of seeing just the particular episode discussed, and the episodes prior to it. Any predictions will be made from watching this (and previous) episodes, and although I have read the books by L.J. Smith that the show was based on I'm tucking away those thoughts and sticking strictly with what they say and show us in the show. Episodes 1-8 are being done retrospectively of the mid-season break, therefore no predictions will be made.
Please watch the episode first before reading to save yourself from SPOILERS for The Secret Circle: Episode #6.
Also check out episode 80 of Hexed where Suzie & I discuss this episode in depth.
Episode #6: Wake
The Circle and the town mourn the passing of Nick. And wait - new character alert! Nick's brother Jake returns to Chance Harbour for Nick's wake, and it's clear that the original circle-teens are not very happy to see him as he was quite a troublemaker and left on bad terms. It's revealed that not only is Jake a witch, but he also is running with a band witch-hunters.
- New characters! More Family! Witch Hunters! Bad anti-witch witches! Knife fights! Omg, the only thing this episode didn't have was a pinata.
- Brutal scene between Ethan and Diana where her tells her it's too bad she's in love with his son when he's destined for another - Ethan was so matter of fact it was unnerving and you could tell it really shook Diana
- I loved how Cassie took her Jane's words on being a leader to heart as she tried to re-form the circle with Jake, and the fact that she gives him a chance even though everyone pretty much hates hime
- Nick’s wake is held at The Boathouse
- Witch hunters meet on a boat
- Jake Armstrong – Nick’s older brother, Cassie sees him burning something outside and then a burned crescent moon appears, Jane says he was a troubled kid, Adam hates him because he stole from Ethan. Also a witch. And a witch hunter. Loyalties definitely unclear.
- Simone - A witch hunter and 'true believer' who attacks Cassie with a crescent moon knife and wants her blood.
- Witch Hunters: Appear to be lead by guy played by JR Bourne (Teen Wolf, Stargate SGI), and there are several of them but so far no names beyond Jake and Simone have been revealed.
- Diana didn’t initially remember Nick and being with her as kids and/or that they were friends
- Inference that Nick Aunt was who he stayed with
- Can tell that Nick’s death is wearing on Charles
- Jake can fight, easily dodges Adam and hits him as well as takes on Simone
- Cassie kind of looks after Jake, gives him the benefit of the doubt
- Huge tension between Jake and Adam
- Obvious that Faye had a thing with Jake and it didn’t end well – he says she was clingy
- Cassie tells Jake about the circle but he says he doesn’t want anything to do with it
- Diana not impressed he Adam acts like Jealous boyfriend when Cassie talks to Jake
- Some tension between Melissa and Faye as Faye tells her to get over Nick when it’s only been 2 days
- Melissa visits Nicks’ house – she had a key
- Jake actually knows dark haired girl – Simone, and she says she followed and marked him because she hates his kind; he calls her The ‘true believers’ so blinded by hate they are frothing at the mouth to kill.
Diana says when she sees Adam look at Cassie she wonders if it’s choice or destiny , Diana says she can't stand at the sidelines and breaks up with him.
- Oddly, Diana goes to Cassie for comfort when she breaks up with Adam saying he is her best friend and no one else really knows her
- Jane says Cassie was born with the responsibility to lead and protect her circle
- The circle if bound by bloodlines, which means Jake is part of it
- “No air for fire” – to put out fire
- burning crescent moon – ancient symbol that means ‘conquest’ , used to let someone who has been marked – per Jane
- Jane says not to tell Jake about the circle
- Cassie wants them to take Jake into the circle
- “Burning star, blood red eye” – Jake (eventually with Cassie), vs Simone
- Jane gives a (large) crystal to Cassie, describing it as a lens that magnifies you power
- Jane says circle magic is powerful – but it’s complicated, it involves other personalities and that crystal is simpler, it’s a reflection of you
- Cassie uses crystal to interfere with Simone’s attack on Jack and then Jake kills her
- Nothing new
- Jane and Cassie have heart to heart on magic
- Re-iteration from Ethan that Cassie & Adam are destined for one another
- Jane says the binding not only binds the people in the circle to each other but to each others’ bloodlines – witches and non witches
- Cassie’s lineage goes back to the beginning of witchcraft
- Dawn says every family had a crystal
- Simone says Jake won’t be able to complete the ‘mission’
- Idea is introduced of scavenging a witches power at/after their death
- Nick had a brother, Jake
- Jane says the crystal is the most coveted magic there is but that it can bring out the very worse in people so says not to tell anyone
- There are witch hunters
- Jane confronts Dawn or mentions that Nick was killed by a demon
- Jake is a witch and a witch hunter, and says he is back in Chance Harbour to avenge the death of his family. He has been training with character played by JR Bourne
- Ethan says about the fire 16 years ago "That wake was at the school gym, Amelia was so distraught after Blackwell to go to the funeral” to Adam - who is Blackwell?
- Ethan ‘mistakenly’ calls Jake 'Nick, after he says that his brother didn’t deserve what happened to him and offers to help, - Jake at the offer seems touched and surprized, but being called Nick was confusing
- “Hey neighbour” – Jake to Cassie – first thing Jake says was also the first thing that Nick said
- “I have had an outfit planned for two years for this” – Faye to
- “Just to warn you, he’ll sleep with you then dump you and leave you in a million twisted pieces. But maybe that’s what you are into” Faye to Cassie re: Jake
- "You guys are the closest things I’ve had to real friends, especially Diana" - Cassie
- “If you really knew me, you wouldn’t want me to stay” – Jake to Cassie
- "You got all the answers, huh? / No. Not usually" – Jake / Cassie
Keeping an eye on *
Left off at
- Diana breaks up with Adam because of Cassie, and then goes to Cassie for comfort
- Jake gets grilled by JR Bourne for killing Simone, but he affirms that he was following protocoland that is there to rid Chance Harbour of witches.
Family Trees - new character: Jake Armstrong
- Blake's: Cassie / Amelia (confirmed dead) + _______ (Cassie's father is dead) / Jane
- Meade's: Diana / Charles + ______ (Diana's mother is assumed dead)
- Chamberlain’s: Faye / Dawn + _____ (Faye's father is dead); Henry (dead)
- Conant': Adam, Ethan + ______ (Adam's mother - assumed dead)
- _______'s: Melissa's family: ________ + _______
- Armstrong's: Nick's (dead) + Jake Family: both parents are said to be dead
- Diana found her family's book first
- Cassie found her family's book at the end of Episode 1
- Charles: 2 (Amelia, Ep 1 and Nick/Abaddon in Ep 5)
- Faye: 1-ish (Sally, Ep 2)
- Dawn: 1 (Henry, strongly inferred that she killed him Ep 2)
- Accidental: 1 (Heather hit by a car - Ep 4)
- Jake: 1 (Simone, Ep 6)
- Adam: 1 (Cassie, Ep 1)
- Dawn: 1 (Sally - with crystal, Ep 2)
- Cassie: 2 (Faye from Heather, Ep 4 and Jake, Ep 6)
- Nick: 1 (Cassie from Heather, Ep 4)
- Jane: 6 (Saved Cassie, Diana, Faye, Adam, Nick & Melissa from Melissa while possessed by Abaddon)
- Jake: 1 (Cassie from Simone)
Also check out episode 80 of Hexed where Suzie & I discuss this episode in depth including genre-loving guest star JR Bourne (Teen Wolf & Stargate SGI) and the sadness of losing Nick.