Hey all, Shannon here with a new episode run down for The Secret Circle, Episode #4. To refresh your memory these are spoiler filled from the perspective of seeing just the particular episode discussed, and the episodes prior to it. Any predictions will be made from watching this (and previous) episodes, and although I have read the books by L.J. Smith that the show was based on I'm tucking away those thoughts and sticking strictly with what they say and show us in the show. Episodes 1-8 are being done retrospectively of the mid-season break, therefore no predictions will be made.
Please watch the episode first before reading to save yourself from SPOILERS for The Secret Circle: Episode #4.
You can also listen to Suzie & I chat about this episode on Hexed Podcast #78!
Episode #4: Heather
Cassie is compelled to seek out and help her mothers friend Heather who has been in a comatose state for 16 years. When Diana is against going down this path, Cassie finds Faye more than willing to help for the price of seeing Cassie's family journal. All hell breaks loose when it's revealed that the coma was preventing something even worse from emerging through Heather, who upon awakening battle possession by a demon.
- The actual do witchcraft in this episode - YAY!
- But also add demons and possession - meh-boo
- Pretty exciting smack down fight at Cassie's
- They continue to explore the idea of safety and danger as well as evil being drawn to power
- Thematically we are starting to see a lot more about unravelling the mystery of what happened to their parents over their own powers/witchcraft
- Shout out to the Camilke Sullivan who plays Heather, if you loved her here check her out on the awesome Canadian espionage series Intelligence
- New location - Finn Creek; a sketchy area where Heather Barnes’ brother lives
- Wade Barnes (Heather’s brother), knew Amelia
- Heather Barnes – who was a friend of Amelia but has been incapacitated and not moved for 16 years
- Jane is a Nurse and works at hospital
- Faye says Nick has hit on every guy in school
- Faye continues to be a trouble maker for all the relationships – with Melissa and Nick and when Adam calls Cassie
- Nick & Melissa are still together
- Faye says to Melissa that she’s okay with her if she’s seeing him, she’s not jealous (but then notes he’s outside with a girl), and Melissa shoves him off / and the comes to apologize and she blames herself for listening to Faye
- Diana doesn’t want to help Cassie undo the spell on Heather to reveal truth about parents
- Adam tries to convince Cassie not to do anything, and Cassie reviews that she found her mother's Book of Shadows
- Faye offers to help if Cassie will let her read her Book of Shadows
- Cassie shares with Adam that she found the Book of Shadows, he says her book is completely different, different spells, different histories / Cassie says her mother wouldn’t have done this to her
- Nick ‘opens’ Melissa’s shirt
- Cassie wants to undo the spell on Heather , because she’s in an awful state and maybe she could help understand what happened to parents
- Adam helps Cassie create a poultice (which he says is like a potion **)
- Cassie’s blood is taken for the poultice for the spell
- Faye & Cassie say spell in non-English after applying poultice to Heather but doesn’t appear to work, they take of when Wade comes home
- After wind blows into the house, something moves under Heather's skin and she stands up and attacks Wade
- Diana book shows ‘ubalis knifes’ (sp?) – possession, demons – looks like 2 of the symbols in Diana’s book on top of each other formed the one Heather
- Talk of demons as snakes and insects inside people
- Looks like what Amelia did was a suppression spell, suppressing a demon inside Heather
- First reference to a distinction between witchcraft and 'dark magic'
- Heather is incapacitated, then revived, the possessed and then after she dies an insect-y like thing creeps out of her arm and looks like it goes into Nick’s jacket.
- Heather while possessed can fly up to 2nd floor and is incredibly strong and can jump down
- Nothing new
- Diana is actually against doing the spell on Heather and finding out what happened with parents, which makes me think she knows more than is leading on, does she want control; And plays Adam like he’s always her 2nd vote and then she walks off.
- Heather says she tried to help Amelia take Cassie away , she wanted her to be safe
- Heather says that Amelia tried to stop it, tried to protect them all but that it went inside her. Evil went inside her and that it hurt and that she made the pain go away but not it’s back. Heather asks Cassie for help and then goes into all possession twist-yness. Heather confirms that the sigil stopped the pain, She went to
- Per Heather: Wherever there are witches, evil follows. They’ve were summoned and they were trying to use the power of Amelia and their friends // but they couldn’t stop them all. Demons. And one got inside Heather.
- Cassie's mom was actually trying to protect Heather
- Heather tried to help Amelia take Cassie away from Chance Harbour
- What’s the point of being a witch if I can’t do any magic myself? I might as well become a cheerleader. / Bite your tongue! – Faye/Melissa
- Why can’t it be fun like that movie The Craft, the first half not the part with the snakes - Faye
- The part where we put spells on boys, change our hair colour and levitate – Faye
- Don’t be that pathetic girl that thinks ‘He’ll change for me” – Faye to Melissa re: Nick
- “Some died, some survived. If you call this surviving” Wade
- I’m never going to be the guy you want me to be - Nick
- You got a broom? / Sure, I’m a witch – Adam / Cassie
Keeping an eye on *
Left off at
- Adam says that he agrees with Cassie that they need to find out what happened 16 years go
- Snake like creature goes into Melissa when her and Nick are sleeping in bed
Family Trees - nothing new
- Blake's: Cassie / Amelia (confirmed dead) + _______ (Cassie's father is dead) / Jane
- Meade's: Diana / Charles + ______ (Diana's mother is assumed dead)
- Chamberlain’s: Faye / Dawn + _____ (Faye's father is dead); Henry (dead)
- Conant': Adam, Ethan + ______ (Adam's mother - assumed dead)
- _______'s: Melissa's family: ________ + _______
- _______'s: Nick's Family: both parents are said to be dead
nothing new except it's the first time Cassie uses her book
- Diana found her family's book first
- Cassie found her family's book at the end of Episode 1
- Charles: 1 (Amelia, Ep 1)
- Faye: 1-ish (Sally, Ep 2)
- Dawn: 1 (Henry, strongly inferred that she killed him Ep 2)
- Accidental: 1 (Heather hit by a car - Ep 4)
- Adam: 1 (Cassie, Ep 1)
- Dawn: 1 (Sally - with crystal, Ep 2)
- Cassie: 1 (Faye from Heather, Ep 4)
- Nick: 1 (Cassie from Heather, Ep 4)
** You can also listen to Suzie & I chat about this episode on Hexed Podcast #78, and for this episode we really take the show to task for the incorrect usage of poultice 'like a potion', which is actually more like a salve that you apply to a bandage (which upon second viewing is what Cassie does with it, but still... a potion???). We still love the show, but that just isn't what a poultice is. Shannon also waxes poetic about Camille Sullivan who was awesome here as she was on the show 'Intelligence'.