Hey all, Shannon here with a new episode run down for The Secret Circle, Episode #2. To refresh your memory these are spoiler filled from the perspective of seeing just the particular episode discussed, and the episodes prior to it. Any predictions will be made from watching this (and previous) episodes, and although I have read the books by L.J. Smith that the show was based on I'm tucking away those thoughts and sticking strictly with what they say and show us in the show. Episodes 1-8 are being done retrospectively of the mid-season break, therefore no predictions will be made.
Please watch the episode first before reading to save yourself from SPOILERS for The Secret Circle: Episode #2.
Episode #2: Bound
After a few scares and flares in magic that turn dangerous, the six teens decide to bind the circle.
- Holy spoiler title! They don't bind the circle until the very end of the episode.
- Not loving aligning 'magic' with 'dangerous' as well as the idea of it's safer to not have power or to have stop gaps on power.
- .I did love how Cassie was strong in affirming that even if she knows what's going on with the witchcraft and that she has power, she isn't 'one of them' and isn't going to necessarily play friends or go along with whatever they say
- Sea Fair!
- Sally Matthews – looks like a regular teen girl
- Henry Chamberlain, an Elder-Adult, Faye’s father's father who is retired and is aware of witchcraft.
- We find out that Charles Meade is a lawyer on the town council, although he's described by Ethan as a punk
- Melissa & Nick hooked up – looks like for the first time and she wants to keep it quiet
- Adam plays the ‘adults’ Ethan on playing nice with Charles
- Ethan (Adam's Dad) talks more about Amelia (Cassie's Mom) Says that there was an attraction between them that was impossible to ignore, like he would light up in side
- Diana asks Adam if she has anything to worry about with him & Cassie and he doesn’t say no but they both say they love each other
- “Give me light” Cassie attempts to light candle, but after a few tries the curtain opens behind her bringing in light
- “Close now” – Cassie tries to get curtains to close to block Nick’s view but ends up breaking his window
- “Fire without flame, bring me heat” - Faye & Melissa in science class
- Plus: Beaker explodes and Solution goes up in flame by Cassie getting mad
- Adam and Cassie light up a light bulb with a grounded wire
- Diana is yes – thinks it’s selfish and dangerous to not bind it, and they will have more power together
- Faye is against it, she doesn’t want to be controlled but gets scared when
- Melissa is lightly for it
- Nick – pretty ambiguous
- Adam – I don't remember him directly supporting it but he does generally support Diana
- Cassie says no, repeatedly but seems to warm up to the idea if it will control things. She wants to bind it so no one else gets hurt.
- Lots of notations to wanting to and/or being unable to control their emotions
- Dawn and Charles chat about Henry being in down, Charles says he left no trace
- Henry says Charles used a signet (sp?) on Ethan to Dawn / Dawn says Charles has no power ‘your circle took care of that’ –infers an Elder circle, and says he saw children and Dawn seems genuinely surprized Faye was
- Crystal has the power, but it’s all they have Charles gives it to Dawn on her request
- Dawn uses crystal and chats on Sally, reviving her (Henry sees her)
- Charles isn’t happy Dawn used the crystal it
- Dawn makes a few references to magic being seductive and feeling good
- Dawn threatens Henry with effects of a heart attack
- Henry sees Faye & Melissa doing magic and that he is going to take care of it / won’t let what happened to the adult circle happen again
- Henry says Charles isn’t smart enough for this play
- Henry asks where Dawn got the crystals, says they were all destroyed + asks for it from Dawn
- Henry says there was a time for witchcraft but it is gone
- Ethan says that there is astrological lore of their two families on a collision course of destiny (Cassie’s and Adam’s families)
- Inferred that something could be unleashed if they bind together
- Also notation that somehow the teen circle is different that the adults circle was
- Henry says there are more elders
- It was Ethan who called Henry, and says Charles threatened him with magic
- All the ones ‘of their circle’ (adults) were stripped of their powers, including Ethan
- There is something stupid Ethan could tell Cassie, according to Dawn & Charles
- "Charles Meade is a punk. He’s always been a punk” – Ethan
- "Do you always listen to what Faye says? / No, otherwise I wouldn’t be her"e – Nick/Melissa
- "Do you own a shirt?" – Cassie re: Nick (also a Twi-reference)
- "But we’ll have more strength as a group and we can use it better / For what, world peace? Are we going to save the turtles?" – Diana / Faye
- "Faye turned me against Faye" – Cassie to Sally
- “I have a feeling and then things explode” - Cassie
- "More power requires more practice" - Faye
Keeping an eye on *
Left off at
Dawn appears to threaten or possibly kill Henry
The six perform the ritual of binding the circle
"Fire Earth Metal Air Water and Blood
By these elements we bind the circle and follow in the footsteps of our ancestors who pledged themselves to fight against the forces of darkness
When evil assails us
When fear weakens us
When descent threatens us
In the circle we will found our power
We come to this place alone
But leave bound as one
With this oath
Our journey begins together
Do we accept the circle?"
I accept (I heard 3) – and the bonfire goes up
Keeping Tabs On....
Family Trees - 1 new addition :Henry Chamberlain
- Blake's: Cassie / Amelia (confirmed dead) + _______ (Cassie's father is dead) / Jane
- Meade's: Diana / Charles + ______ (Diana's mother is assumed dead)
- Chamberlain’s: Faye / Dawn + _____ (Faye's father is dead); Henry (Faye’s father’s father)
- Conant': Adam, Ethan + ______ (Adam's mother - assumed dead)
- _______'s: Melissa's family: ________ + _______
- _______'s: Nick's Family: both parents are said to be dead
- Diana found her family's book first
- Cassie found her family's book at the end of Episode 1
Kill / Saves Tally (3 / 2) :
- Charles: 1 (Amelia, Ep 1)
- Faye: 1-ish (Sally, Ep 2)
- Dawn: (Henry, Ep 2 - inferred)
- Adam: 1 (Cassie, Ep 1)
- Dawn: 1 (Sally - with crystal, Ep 2)
And remember you can also listen to Suzie & I chat about this episode on Hexed Podcast #76!