Hey all, Shannon here with a new episode run down for The Secret Circle, Episode #5. To refresh your memory these are spoiler filled from the perspective of seeing just the particular episode discussed, and the episodes prior to it. Any predictions will be made from watching this (and previous) episodes, and although I have read the books by L.J. Smith that the show was based on I'm tucking away those thoughts and sticking strictly with what they say and show us in the show. Episodes 1-8 are being done retrospectively of the mid-season break, therefore no predictions will be made.
Please watch the episode first before reading to save yourself from SPOILERS for The Secret Circle: Episode #5.
And if you'd rather listen than read you can listen to Suzie & I chat about this episode on Hexed Ep 79!
Episode #5: Slither
Melissa is inhabitated by a serpent demon-thing and tricks Nick into helping her dig up what he thinks is her family's book, and then tricks Faye to help open the books which is actually a box of demons! Cassie pulls a Baby and runs to get her Grandmother for help, and in the fight Melissa is save but the demon hops into Nick who escapes and approaches Dawn as Abaddon, someone known to her from the time of her circle. When push comes to shove, Dawn gets Charles to kill the demon by drowning Nick, leaving him to be the first casualty of the Circle.
- I loved the strong female family relationships that shone in this episode, how Cassie decided that lying doesn't work for her and she reached out to Jane and Jane in turn saved the day
- I loved that they did a ritual on the Blood Moon and how the Blood Moon looked - gorgeous!
- It's becoming more clear that Dawn is using Charles as a tool, to get the job done - although they appear to have similar motivations it's not clear to me what they are and how they are different; but now they are feeling different. It is noted they are looking for 6 crystals to restore the power from their circle which is interesting because the teen circle doesn't have crystals; at least not yet
- Big kudos to actor Jessica Parker Kennedy who plays Melissa here, fun times playing a possessed girl but also she did a great job of pretty much seducing Faye into helping her after she had wrangled in Nick. That was very impressive.
- I'm really shocked they killed off Nick, I mean - he's part of the circle! I didn't expect any of them to get killed, so gloves seem pretty much off now!
- Blood Moon - Not a social event per se, but it's the first natural occurrence they refer to for spells
- Abaddon - the name said by Nick while possessed by the demon
- Melissa wakes up with massive headache and the slippy demon-y thing is in her, she brushes off Nick and she was possessed for most of the shows, says everything was blurry
- Jane is a casting queen! Spell-or-rama! Saves the day with crystal witchy goodness
- Nick – killed by Charles while possessed – The rest of the circle doesn’t know what really happened
- Charles is quite affected by the fact that he killed Nick, that it should never feel right , Dawn comforts him by saying he saved her life.
- Jane Reaches out to Cassie about what happened with Heather Barnes, says that it’s makes sense that she’d find Faye and Diana that their parents were all friends. Says that there is nothing that she can’t talk to her about. But Diana tells Cassie can’t tell anything . She also says that if she had known, she could have helped and that she should have seen the signs
- Melissa lures in Nick to help her did up what he says is the book of shadows just for them; then proceeds to also lures in Faye
- Diana / Adam actually spend some romantic time together
- Diana reveals to Faye that their parents are dating (although they aren't - it's a cover!)
- Melissa is twitch city with the demon inside her, but when Nick is around she calms out and tricks him into digging up something in forest about finding Mom’s book of shadows - it’s not a book but a suitcase
- The suitcase moves and Nick, Faye & Cassie see something move under he skin
- Heat of the sun, burn like fire – Diana,. Faye Adam try to burn knife she is using on Nick
- Demon Melissa –Inseppion Serpas Mallu
- Location Ritual to find six crystals once joining together as one , connected even now that Dawn and Charles do – looks like the stars on Cassie ceiling and doing ritual , but the crystal doesn’t have enough power
- Dawn says Without 5 more of the crystals the circle can't restore the adult circles power
- Post-location ritual Dawn is headachy
- Dawn gets Charles to kill possessed Nick, Cassie & Jane find his body
- Jane closes the case and flies the knife out of Melissa’s hand
- Jane “I’m not alone here” – I didn’t mean the children, has crystal in hand. Who isn’t she alone with?
- Plus quickly puts the teen in to ritual mode lighting 3 candles in a circle clockwise, then sage burn some in each candle
- Crystal freaks out possessed host, which turns out to be Nick
- Jane says only way to destroy a demon is to drown it or burn it, they burn the suitcase of snake demons
- Diana says that their parents were punished by The Elders, and that their powers were taken away (inferences that Elders have their power)
- Looks like Dawn & Charles are trying to locate the 6 crystals from their circle to rejoin and restore their power
- Dawn says their more that the teens will find the more than they will dig
- Abaddon (possession demon) says ‘We have unfinished business" to Dawn, that he wants a circle which was what he was brought there to do’
- Demons are said to be able to be killed by water and fire
- Dawn and Charles infer that getting the crystals will get their true powers back
- Diana/Adam talk about how originally they were the only 2 witches they knew and it sounds like that changed when she found the book of shadows
- Cassie outs herself to Grandma as needs her help
- How many witches does it take to open a suitcase
- What good is magic if you can’t save the people you care about? / I wish it was that simple, ours is not an easy like and Witchcraft has never been about fun and games. It’s dangerous and it attracts darkness, which is why your mom was trying to keep it from you, why I wanted to keep it from her / it didn’t work / No, it didn’t. It never does – Cassie/Jean – Great scene.
Keeping an eye on *
Left off at
- Nick while possessed by Abaddon is killed by Charles
- Cassie & Jane have a witchy heart to heart
Family Trees - nothing new other than Nick dying
- Blake's: Cassie / Amelia (confirmed dead) + _______ (Cassie's father is dead) / Jane
- Meade's: Diana / Charles + ______ (Diana's mother is assumed dead)
- Chamberlain’s: Faye / Dawn + _____ (Faye's father is dead); Henry (dead)
- Conant': Adam, Ethan + ______ (Adam's mother - assumed dead)
- _______'s: Melissa's family: ________ + _______
- _______'s: Nick's (dead) Family: both parents are said to be dead
- Diana found her family's book first
- Cassie found her family's book at the end of Episode 1
- Charles: 2 (Amelia, Ep 1 and Nick/Abaddon in Ep 5)
- Faye: 1-ish (Sally, Ep 2)
- Dawn: 1 (Henry, strongly inferred that she killed him Ep 2)
- Accidental: 1 (Heather hit by a car - Ep 4)
- Adam: 1 (Cassie, Ep 1)
- Dawn: 1 (Sally - with crystal, Ep 2)
- Cassie: 1 (Faye from Heather, Ep 4)
- Nick: 1 (Cassie from Heather, Ep 4)
- Jane: 6 (Saved Cassie, Diana, Faye, Adam, Nick & Melissa from Melissa while possessed by Abaddon)
** You can also listen to Suzie & I chat about this episode on Hexed Podcast #79.
Louis Hunter as Nick Armstrong
The Circle's first casualty. We'll miss you, Nick!