Saturday, November 12, 2011

Hal-Con 2011: Sneak Peek!

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Please note! Although it may appear differently, this is not yet one of my official Hal-Con 2011 post for Hexed. Got home tonight exhausted, had the most amazing first day, uploaded all sorts of cool videos and photographs and have so much to share. These are just fun and potentially silly snippets of our first day at the con. Official posts to come soon!

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

One benefit (I suppose) of living with a sleeping disorder is I was up before 6 am getting ready to pack all my camera gear, note pads, markers, i.d., changes of clothes, MP3 recorder... way ahead of time.

My husband Reg and I drove to downtown Halifax representing Hexed, the podcast about supernatural TV that my sister Shannon and I record on a weekly basis. I had gone to a con many years ago in Vancouver, British Columbia, that was quite small. Reg assured me this was going to be much, MUCH bigger.

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Nothing like a hot chocolate with a shot of hazelnut to start our day at the convention

We fortified our bodies and spirits with a preliminary trip to Starbucks in Scotia Square where we parked for the day. It was a convenient location since the convention was across the street at the World Trade and Convention Centre.

We were there from early Saturday morning until around 7:30 pm and the parking cost us $20. It was absolutely worth it. We could easily get to the car through the mall, stop for a bite to eat and pick up water, something I wish we could have purchased at the con.

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

At 9:45 on the main stage the convention began with a charming video of a lost monster robot trying to find a home, his identity, meaning... It was deeply symbolic. He found his happiness reflected in the uncanny resemblance to the Old Town Clock on Citadel Hill but then were picked up by some very cool famous friends and brought to Hal-Con. A very happy ending.

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

From there things got a tad darker but in a good way. I took this photo at one of the vendors' tables: "Die, Zombie, Die!"

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

I can not tell you how much fun it is to shop with women walking around carrying weapons and guys dressed up as Star Wars characters.

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

What would Hal-Con be without Star Trek?! This year the Kag Kanada Grand Assembly was held on the main stage and there was even bagpipe music!

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Creepy gothic artwork was everywhere... my favourite! This piece was especially freaky. Love it.

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

The amount of talented artists in attendance was downright impressive and the best part? Many created art right in front of our eyes.

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Where else can you go and see Darth Vader, Freddy Krueger and V watch a fencing demonstration by the Society for Creative Anachronism?

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Yup, that is right! Saturday day passes sold out. The place was absolutely packed with people having such a fun time. I have no idea how I survived the day but I got to go get some sleep so I can cover the rest of the convention tomorrow.

Hal-Con 2011, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hanging out with a Dalek from Dr. Who

Not to worry! I will go from this Annie (Being Human)-inspired relaxed outfit to dressing up as Kenzi from Lost Girl. Can't wait to do more coverage of Hal-Con for our supernatural TV listeners dressed up as a character we adore talking about on our show. So much more to come. Seriously, I have a ton to write about and share, it's crazy and awesome!



Here is a super sneak peek of the interview with Nicholas Brendon who, of course, played Xander from Buffy answering the question: vampires or zombies? He clearly has issues with zombies. So much fun...

Good night!

No comments: