Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Yes, my husband was the one dressed up as Bender at Hal-Con 2011. He put so much time, effort and energy into this transformation I had to share some of the Bender-making experience with you.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Reg had been wanting to make Bender since late spring. The major issue was going to be the head. Reg figured if he could find the right head, everything else could probably work. We went to just about every house and home store you can think of and then, we saw it, at Superstore! The store I spend a ton of time in yet had never noticed it.

Then Reg saw it and we FINALLY had the head!

PUTTING IT TOGETHER

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

We thought the hard part was over. No way! The eyeballs were brutal. Ping pong balls were too small. Lacrosse balls were too big. Then Reg had an epiphany... Oven lightbulbs! They were perfect. I insisted the mouth-template he had made was too big and I am glad he brought it a bit down to size.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

I was surprised to discover Bender's pupils were square! I had never noticed. Reg cut out the mouth and added mesh and drew on Bender's teeth. The ping pong balls we bought weren't a waste, one went on top of the antennae which was made from a door stopper.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

When I saw the head was done I told him it was time to get the body. We found only one garbage can that would work, that would fit his body so we brought it home.

Reg got out all his tools and then the madness really started. I gave up trying to clean and especially vacuum the floor. What is the point when you have a mad scientist living in your basement using your Dremel tool?

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Reg used 6" duct venting for the arms and it looked almost complete! We scoured everywhere for larger venting for the legs but it did not seem to exist!

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Reg used most of the 6" venting to make legs, hoping that would work. This was the night before the convention!

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Total and utter wardrobe malfunction. They split right across the leg.

I had been insisting he try these silver disco pants that I wore to disco night on a cruise. Now it looked like they were his only option. We finally found the feet too... at Superstore! We got giant covered plastic mixing bowls that Reg covered with duct tape.

GOING TO THE CON



The morning of the costume party we put all the components into our car and headed downtown.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

We unloaded the components of the car and headed towards the convention.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Yes, a surreal moment I just had to capture.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Reg signed up, it was official, Bender was going to be on stage!

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Reg put on my tight silver pants and pulled out Bender's head. Then everything went to hell. Everything meaning, my pants.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

They started to shred to pieces. All the silver started coming off at once. It was the weirdest thing! Bender was losing his shiny metal ass!

So Reg taped up the pants.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Then I taped Reg into the silver pants!

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

As soon as he put the head on, that was it, everyone wanted Bender's photo.



Seriously, he captured everyone's attention.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Who knows how many people took a photo with him that day!

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

It must have been dozens. You know you have a winning costume when Boba Fett wants to have his photo taken with you.

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Robots will be robots.



Here I am all nervous about Reg going on stage and talking a little about the convention.




If you haven't seen his performance already, check Bender out!




This was one of my personal favourite moments. Very clever Reg!

Becoming Bender at Hal-Con 2011

Have you ever heard of a tulpa? A tulpa is something you manifest strictly by thinking of it alone. I find it one of the more scary paranormal realities of our world but in this case, it made me laugh.

Through careful planning, cutting, sculpting, glueing, painting, shopping... Reg made Bender come to life out of two garbage cans. In the end he felt very real not just to me, but everyone at Hal-Con. He truly was Bender.

Way to go babe. You are seriously the coolest person I know.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Absolutely freakin' awesome. Bravo, Reg, bravo! The oven lightbulbs for eyes are particularly brilliant, LOL!

Linda Rozee said...

What I want to know is... Just HOW did Reg KNOW that, that bin would fit... Did he try it on for size in the shop??? (Just imagine the conversation.." hey sweetheart, this bin is just perfect for our night out, it fits me a treat"....

Suzie Ridler said...

Debra, I can't believe it took us so long to come up with the eyes and the oven lightbulb literally came on above Reg's head and I agree, totally genius.

Linda, you are awesome, totally hysterical. Reg just has a good eye for that kind of detail but I love the idea of him trying on the cans, LOL.

Shell said...

Big cheers for Reg. That took creativity and focus to make Bender come alive like that. I know you are proud of him!!
Love the pic of him and boba fett!!